The Majority Caucus Room hosts meetings by the majority party as well as Rules and Reference Committees.
Located in the northeast and southeast corners of the Senate Building are the Majority and Minority Conference
Rooms, which serve as caucus meeting spaces. Adjacent to the North and South Hearing Rooms, the conference rooms
once functioned as deliberation chambers for justices of the Ohio Supreme Court when the Senate Building served
as the Judicial Annex from 1901 to 1974. Each room displays the official portraits of past party leaders who
served in key leadership positions.
The Majority Conference Room
Pete Fact : The large cabinet on the east wall of the Majority Conference Room once
served as the wardrobe where the Supreme Court justices stored their robes.
In addition to its use as a majority caucus meeting space, the Majority Conference Room is also the site where
the Senate Rules Committee members convene to set the session agenda for the Senate floor. The room features
portraits of former Senate Presidents Doug White of Adams County and Stanley Aronoff of Hamilton County, and
former Majority Leader Ted Gray of Columbus, the longest serving member of the Ohio Senate.
The Minority Caucus Room features a round table in the center of the room. The minority party meets here.
The Minority Conference Room
The Minority Conference Room contains portraits of former Governor John J. Gilligan of Hamilton County, former
Senate Presidents Oliver Ocasek of Summit County and Harry Meshel of Mahoning County, former Lieutenant Governor
John W. Donahey of Stark County and former Governor Richard F. Celeste of Cuyahoga County.