Kunze Announces Approval of Additional Pandemic Funds for Ohio's Domestic Violence and Rape Crisis Support Centers, Libraries and K-12 Schools
COLUMBUS— State Senator Stephanie Kunze (R-Hilliard) today announced the state’s approval of over $87 million in additional funding for COVID-19-related expenses for Ohio’s K-12 schools, libraries, veterans’ homes and crisis support centers.
These funds, approved by the state Controlling Board, are provided to Ohio through the federal CARES Act and can be used for necessary pandemic costs, including but not limited to personal protection equipment (PPE), safety and sanitation operations, and remote learning technology.
“The Senate has remained diligent in providing essential funds to Ohioans in need during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Kunze. “These funds will help Ohio’s libraries, rape/domestic violence crisis centers, VFW Posts and Ohio’s two state veteran homes as they continue to serve and support the important daily work they do for those in need.”
The funding approved today includes:
- $50M in matching grant dollars to Ohio’s K-12 school districts for remote learning tools, including broadband communication devices, hotspots, etc.
- $18.3M for Ohio’s libraries
- $8.75M for Ohio’s domestic violence shelters and rape crisis centers
- $4.6M for BMV Deputy Registrar sites and State Driver’s Test centers
- $3M for Ohio’s congressionally-chartered veterans' organizations
- $1M for Ohio’s two veterans' homes located in Sandusky (Erie county) and Georgetown (Brown county)
- $1M through the Attorney General’s office to be used on COVID19-related fraud prevention, especially as it relates to fraud targeting Ohio’s elderly population
- Additional dollars for Ohio’s 86 rest stops, operated by the Ohio Department of Transportation
To date, nearly $1.7B in CARES Act funding has been approved by the General Assembly to be distributed Ohio’s communities as they continue to battle and recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. More information about the funds approved today can be found here